An elite field commits to PGA TOUR Champions American Family Insurance Championship
PGA TOUR Champions stars, past major winners comprise field of inaugural tournament
An impressive field of PGA TOUR Champions players, past major champions and other famous names has committed to the inaugural American Family Insurance Championship, hosted by PGA TOUR winner and Madison, Wis., resident Steve Stricker.
The championship will be held June 24-26 at University Ridge Golf Course in Madison. The 81-player field, competing for a $2 million purse, will include:
* Eleven of 13 PGA TOUR Champions winners this year: Woody Austin, three wins; Bernhard Langer, three wins; Michael Allen, Scott McCarron, Rocco Mediate, Esteban Toledo and Duffy Waldorf.
* Eight of the top 10 in this year's Charles Schwab Cup standings: Langer, Austin, Billy Andrade, Waldorf, Joe Durant, Scott McCarron, Mediate and Tom Lehman; and 17 of the top 20.
* Every winner of the season-long Charles Schwab Cup since 2006: Langer, three times: Jay Haas, twice; Lehman, twice; Loren Roberts, twice; Kenny Perry.
* Ten past winners of the Masters Tournament, U.S. Open, The Open Championship or PGA Championship: Mark Brooks, Marc Calcavecchia, John Daly, Todd Hamilton, Lee Janzen, Langer, Lehman, Larry Mize, Jeff Sluman and Bob Tway.
* Eight past winners of the U.S. Bank/Greater Milwaukee Open: Brooks, Carlos Franco, Haas, Gary Halberg, Scott Hoch, Perry, Roberts and Sluman.
"We are absolutely thrilled with the field," said Nate Pokrass, American Family Insurance Championship tournament director. "The turnout represents players' enthusiasm for the championship and Wisconsin, as well as their deep respect for Steve and our commitment to raise significant dollars for the American Family Children's Hospital and other charities."
Also included in the American Family Insurance Championship field are five players who received sponsor exemptions: Hallberg, Mike Goodes, Wisconsin native Skip Kendall, Fran Quinn and Stan Utley.
The player field is listed below and posted on the American Family Insurance Championship website (www.amfamchampionship under News header found on list at top right) with the exception of five spots that will be determined by a June 20 open qualifier. The qualifier will be held at The Legend at Bergamont golf course in Oregon, Wis., just outside of Madison.
The general public can still bid in an online charity auction to caddy for either Favre or Stricker. Visit charitybuzz.com (search "American Family Insurance Championship") to learn more and submit a bid. Auction is open for bids until June 16 at 2 p.m. CDT. Funds raised will be donated to the American Family Children's Hospital and other local charities.
Fans can purchase tickets for the American Family Insurance Championship at the tournament website at www.amfamchampionship.com. Options include $25 general admission tickets valid any day of the championship, in addition to three-day general admission and clubhouse passes with special amenities.
American Family Insurance Championship Field
As of June 14, 2016
Tommy Armour III
Jay Don Blake
Tom Pernice Jr.
Wes Short Jr.
News Source: University Ridge Golf Course
Posted June 15, 2016 || Viewed 2,205 times || View Course Profile